Houston, Texas
1.1
Layout of Store

Last week I watched a movie on Netflix about the Biafran war of Nigeria called "Half of a Yellow Sun" that took place in the 1960s. I was so awed by this movie that I wanted to learn a lot more about this subject. Of course where else to learn about a subject than going to your local bookstore.

I then decided to go to my local Barnes and Nobles book store in Houston, TX around the Westheimer and Hilcroft location. Once there I headed directly to the world history section. To my greatest surprise I was shocked to find less than 10 books on the whole Africa section. Now last time I looked on a map, Africa is a continent with 54 countries. The continent of Africa is 3 times the land mass of the USA but yet half a feet of space dedicated to Africa!!!!!

Now I am not sure if Barnes and Nobles is in the business of selecting which countries or continents to showcase a reasonable quantity of books but it sure doesn't look professional and serious as far as this book store is concerned.

Some great authors to consider are Dr. Cheikh Anta Diop, Basil Davidson, Chimmanda Ngozi, Wangari Mathai, Buch Emecheta, Theophile Obenga, Ali Mazrui, Abdul Sheriff, Abd al-Rahman al-Rafai, Mamadou Diouf, John Henrik Clarke, Hassoum Ceesay.

I would like to see a whole space in Barnes and Nobles dedicated to the best literature (History, technology, science, medicine, current affairs, etc) written from the best Authors from the African continent. What a disgrace to Barnes and nobles.

Preferred solution: Coordinate with African countries and collect the best works from each country related to history, literature, mythology and science. Make an effort to showcase these works to the general public as this could dramatically increase Barnes & Nobles Sales..

Had an Experience with Barnes And Noble?

Comments

Be the first to start a discussion