Barnes And Noble - No reasonable amount of books on African history.
Last week I watched a movie on Netflix about the Biafran war of Nigeria called "Half of a Yellow Sun" that took place in the 1960s. I was so awed by this movie that I wanted to learn a lot more about this subject. Of course where else to learn about a subject than going to your local bookstore.
I then decided to go to my local Barnes and Nobles book store in Houston, TX around the Westheimer and Hilcroft location. Once there I headed directly to the world history section. To my greatest surprise I was shocked to find less than 10 books on the whole Africa section. Now last time I looked on a map, Africa is a continent with 54 countries. The continent of Africa is 3 times the land mass of the USA but yet half a feet of space dedicated to Africa!!!!!
Now I am not sure if Barnes and Nobles is in the business of selecting which countries or continents to showcase a reasonable quantity of books but it sure doesn't look professional and serious as far as this book store is concerned.
Some great authors to consider are Dr. Cheikh Anta Diop, Basil Davidson, Chimmanda Ngozi, Wangari Mathai, Buch Emecheta, Theophile Obenga, Ali Mazrui, Abdul Sheriff, Abd al-Rahman al-Rafai, Mamadou Diouf, John Henrik Clarke, Hassoum Ceesay.
I would like to see a whole space in Barnes and Nobles dedicated to the best literature (History, technology, science, medicine, current affairs, etc) written from the best Authors from the African continent. What a disgrace to Barnes and nobles.
More Review Details
|Product or Service Quality|
|Layout of Store|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Discounts and Special Offers|
- Reason of review:
- Poor customer service
- Preferred solution:
- Coordinate with African countries and collect the best works from each country related to history, literature, mythology and science. Make an effort to showcase these works to the general public as this could dramatically increase Barnes & Nobles Sales.
- Product or service
- Barnes And Noble World History Books
- Review category
- Periodicals & Publishing
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "Look at this insane transcript with "Marie" from Barnes and Noble: You are now connected with Marie from BN.com Ron: Hi! I signed up for the Barnes & Noble Membership and ordered..."
- "There is a long history concerning this company, one that is characterized by the company’s persistent failure to respond to communication and requests for documentation of invoiced charges. After placing an..."
- "I threatened a class action lawsuit if I didn't receive my products within the next two weeks. Instead of complying...they completely refunded my money. Thought that was interesting: From: Erin Nugent..."
- "I've had two times where I was suppose to have won x2 items through this suppose to be game/survey, which I only was connected to this site through PCH. I..."
- "I bought a red leather couch. It was on sale at $1500. Regular over $2000. I thought I was buying a leather couch that would last for..."
- "I purchased a formal dress from modlily. It took them forever yo send it and once they did, it was the wrong item and the wrong size. The dress the..."
- "I have known and respected Jesse Keyes for over 25 years. Jesse Keyes has a successful list of credentials in his academic and professional life. After meeting him at Princeton,..."
- "Ridiculous delays in shipping, packaging that is clearly labeled "FRAGILE" on all sides of the box is NOT being taken note of, many packages arrive smashed. I have witnessed drivers..."
- "These outfitters should be shut down due to unsafe practices and placing the public at risk. There place of business is in shambles, failing practically every code, they don't require..."