Last week I watched a movie on Netflix about the Biafran war of Nigeria called "Half of a Yellow Sun" that took place in the 1960s. I was so awed by this movie that I wanted to learn a lot more about this subject. Of course where else to learn about a subject than going to your local bookstore.
I then decided to go to my local Barnes and Nobles book store in Houston, TX around the Westheimer and Hilcroft location. Once there I headed directly to the world history section. To my greatest surprise I was shocked to find less than 10 books on the whole Africa section. Now last time I looked on a map, Africa is a continent with 54 countries. The continent of Africa is 3 times the land mass of the USA but yet half a feet of space dedicated to Africa!!!!!
Now I am not sure if Barnes and Nobles is in the business of selecting which countries or continents to showcase a reasonable quantity of books but it sure doesn't look professional and serious as far as this book store is concerned.
Some great authors to consider are Dr. Cheikh Anta Diop, Basil Davidson, Chimmanda Ngozi, Wangari Mathai, Buch Emecheta, Theophile Obenga, Ali Mazrui, Abdul Sheriff, Abd al-Rahman al-Rafai, Mamadou Diouf, John Henrik Clarke, Hassoum Ceesay.
I would like to see a whole space in Barnes and Nobles dedicated to the best literature (History, technology, science, medicine, current affairs, etc) written from the best Authors from the African continent. What a disgrace to Barnes and nobles.
More Review Details
|Discounts and Special Offers|
|Product or Service Quality|
|Layout of Store|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
- Reason of review:
- Poor customer service
- Preferred solution:
- Coordinate with African countries and collect the best works from each country related to history, literature, mythology and science. Make an effort to showcase these works to the general public as this could dramatically increase Barnes & Nobles Sales.
- Product or service
- Barnes And Noble World History Books
- Review category
- Periodicals & Publishing
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "I am selling thousands of books per month. and up to 20-30 a day. I took pictures and called about it to report my earnings, and the person on the phone..."
- "I wrote a book about a theory I developed over many years and finally compiled all my thoughts into a book, which I wrote, produced and shipped all by myself...."
- "The put it on their site. I attached it here for you too. They told me it takes them a few months after the contest closes to complete their judging..."
- "I bought a red leather couch. It was on sale at $1500. Regular over $2000. I thought I was buying a leather couch that would last for..."
- "I've had two times where I was suppose to have won x2 items through this suppose to be game/survey, which I only was connected to this site through PCH. I..."
- "I stumbled upon WeUsePayPal when I discovered Amazon doesnt accept paypal as a method of payment. WeUsePayPal has a site set up that makes you believe you could purchase..."
- "Unpacked my purchases. Put the packet on my dresser along with other items in the bag. Later came back to put purchases away. The packet was stuck to my dresser...."
- "I CAN NOT MAKE THESE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT WHAT I RECEIVED WAS NOT WHAT I ORDERED. THEY JUST KEEP TELLING ME THAT ACCORDING TO THE RECEIPT THAT MY ORDER WAS..."
- "DIGREGORIO & MENICI is business registered with the Office of the City Clerk of Boston. The file number is 14001751. The address is 152 Salem Street #3, Boston, MA 02113...."